https://www.vernonrealestate.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Vernon-Real-Estate-Logo-2020-2.png 0 0 Doug Cuthbert https://www.vernonrealestate.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Vernon-Real-Estate-Logo-2020-2.png Doug Cuthbert2018-09-28 11:34:392018-09-28 11:34:39TOP 5 VITAL FALL HOME TIPS
Ensure your home is prepared for the cold winter months looming. Tick these five items off your list, so you can rest easy knowing your home is ready to weather the winter season.
- Take care of trees & shrubs. Whether you choose to do it yourself or hire an arborist, fall is the perfect time to manage some of the often-neglected larger plants in the yard. Trees go dormant as the weather gets cooler making fall the safest time to trim away dead branches and leaves without risking disease.
- Clean gutters. Full, clogged gutters can cause water to pool during heavy rain and snowfall. We recommend waiting until the majority of the leaves have fallen to get all of the mess in one go.
- Seal gaps where drafts or critters could enter. Use heavy duty hardware cloth to keep mice from sneaking in to escape the cold. Apply weatherstripping to the frames of windows and doors to keep cold air out and warm air in. It will make a noticeable impact on energy costs.
- Shut off exterior faucets & store hoses. Drain hoses and store them indoors. Turn off water to exterior faucets to keep pipes from damage caused by freezing temperatures.
- Clean dryer vents. Cool, dry weather in the fall increases static electricity, making it a crucial time of year to clean that lint out and reduce the risk of it igniting. Your dryer will run much more efficiently after a good cleaning, so whether you do it yourself or hire a specialist don’t forget this crucial task.